There have been many Museum of Newport Irish History newsletters, lectures, social events, and published press articles during the past 22 years.
This page has been compiled from other pages of the website in order to show the historical development of the MNIH. It includes links to all of the historical events.
It shows the migration from communicating via newsletters to the use of the website.
Click on the date of each event to see the details.
- September 26, 2018 - Christine Kinealy, Ph.D.,
PDF [Frederick Douglass and Ireland]"
- April 24, 2018 - Kurt C. Schlichting, Ph.D.,
The Irish in Newport
- March 20, 2018 - Steve Marino,
[The Newport Pre-Famine Irish Community in Transition: 1836-1846]
November 19, 2018 - Newport Daily News - "Stories amid the stones: Barney Street Cemetery reflects Newport's 19th-century Irish influx"
- Online version
- September 25, 2018 - Newport Daily News - "Newport Irish History to present
"Frederick Douglass and Ireland"
September 20, 2018 - Newport This Week - "Benefit at the Beach a Sell-Out"
- June 18, 2018 - Newport Daily News -
Family History: Projects on Irish history get personal for Rogers students"
March 18, 2018 - The Providence Journal - "Newport St. Patrick's Day Parade: 'A day of goodness, for everyone' "
- March 16, 2018 - The Rhode Show/WPRI Channel 12 - "Preserving Irish History in Newport". - Host Michaela Johnson interviews MNIH president, Mike Slein.
- March 8, 2018 - Newport This Week - "Lecture Series - Highlights Importance of Newport's Irish"
- March 8, 2018 - Newport This Week - "Building Up the Irish"
- March 5, 2018 - Newport Daily News - "Dancing at the Forty Steps Helped Kick Off Newport Irish Heritage Month"
- March 2, 2018 - Newport Daily News -
When Irish eyes are smiling: Irish Heritage Month to continue despite organization disbanding -
- February 19, 2018 - WADK 1540 am Radio - Newport - Peter Martin - Interview re. 41st Annual Newport Irish Heritage Month and more
- March-April 2018 - Newport Life Magazine - "Shamrocks & Seashells - Benefit for Museum featured in "Red Carpet"
- 2018_09_08_Menu & Music.PDF
- 2018_05_08_Helena Byrne_flyer.jpg
- November 13, 2017 - Ray McKenna, MA, PDF
[Providence's 'Little Ulster': Urban Industrial Life and the Famine Irish Generation]
- October 16, 2017 - John F. Quinn, Ph.D., "PDF [The French Effect: How Rochambeau's Occupation Benefited the Irish in Newport]
- September 27, 2017 - Janet Nolan, Ph.D.,
PDF [Weathering the Storm: A Fish Story of Ireland and Irish-America]
April 10, 2017 - Kurt C. Schlichting, Ph.D., PDF Manhattan's Irish Immigrant Neighborhoods: From the Famine to the Movie Classic - On the Waterfront"
March 28, 2017 - Rebecca L. Abbott. MFA., Prof. of Communications, Dept. of Film, TV & Media at Quinnipiac U. and Christine Kinealy, Ph.D, founding Dir. of "Ireland's Great Hunger Institute" at Quinnipiac, will host the documentary film: PDF
[Ireland's Great Hunger and the Irish Diaspora] - (a 50-min. documentary film).
- September 28, 2017 - Newport This Week - "Benefit a Blast at the Beach - Online version
- March 31, 2017 - Travel Nites Radio - UK - Mike Slein - Interview at the Museum of Newport Irish History
- March 31, 2017 - Travel Bites Radio-UK - Steve Marino - Interview at Fort Adams
- March 31, 2017 - Newport Daily News - "Rogers High School - Famine Projects"
Vol. 39 - Spring 2017
- 2017_09_23_Shamrocks & Seashells_ticket_order_form.PDF
- November 16, 2016 - Providence Journal - "Children's Museum to Unveil New Gallery"
- November 7, 2016 - Patch Newport - "Fort Adams Story Retold at Children's Museum"
- September 1, 2016 - Newport This Week - "Much to Celebrate at Shamrocks & Seashells"
- March 23, 2016 - Newport Daily News - "Design of genius - Expert explains legacy of St. Mary's architect in New England and beyond" - Online version
- March 21, 2016 - Newport Daily News - "Fort Adams, inside and out - Historic complex is one legacy of Newport's Irish heritage"
- March 3, 2016 - Newport This Week - "Irish Priest Crossed the Pond to Preach Temperance"
(Temperance Movement in Newport)"
- March 1, 2016 - Newport Daily News - "City's Irish to Celebrate Rich Heritage"
- July 2, 2015 - Newport This Week - "An Irish Mist at 'Summer at the Steps' Benefit"
- March 27, 2015 - Newport Daily News - "Professor Traces Irish Roots in Rhode Island History"
- March 12, 2015 - Newport This Week - "Remembering Vince Arnold"
- March 12, 2015 - Newport This Week - "Looking Back"
- March 10, 2015 - Newport Life Magazine - "Irish Heritage Month"
- January 17, 2015 - Newport Daily News - "Museum of Newport Irish History shows support for France"
October 6, 2014 - Edward T. O'Donnell, Ph.D.
Streets of Fire: The Irish and the Civil War Draft Riots of July 1863"
September 10, 2014 - Rev. Robert W. Hayman, Ph.D.
Rhode Island's Struggle to Redeem Its Promise to Its Irish Civil War Volunteers"
- March 27, 2014 - Janet Nolan, Ph.D.,
Servants of the Poor: Teachers in Ireland and Irish-America at the Turn of the 20th Century"
- February 27, 2014 - John F. Quinn, Ph.D., Salve Regina U. History Dept. Chair,
The Cause of Humanity is One The World Over: Frederick Douglass' Irish Advocacy"
- May 15, 2014 - Newport This Week - "Ceol, Caint Agus Craic - Music, Talk and Fun"
- April 30, 2014 - Newport Daily News - "Museum of Irish History Receives Grant"
- April 30, 2014 - Newport Daily News - "Our View: Mansion Row is becoming Museum Row"
- March 2, 2014 - Boston Globe - "Museum of Newport Irish History tells immigrants' story"
Vol. 38 - Summer 2014
- 2014 March Events.pages
- November 12, 2013 - Christopher Klein, Author & Journalist,PDF John L. Sullivan, "The Boston Strong Boy" author of "The Boston Strong Boy" : America's First Irish-American Hero
- October 8, 2013 - Patrick Conley, Ph.D. , R.I. Historian Laureate, "PDF Politics, Prejudice, Patriotism, and Perseverance: Rhode Island's Catholic Irish Confront The Civil War"
- September 12, 2013 - Rosamund Burton, writer and journalist, PDF Castles, Follies and Four-Leaf Clovers: Adventures Along Ireland's St. Declan's Way"
- March 25, 2013 - Scott Molloy, Ph.D., PDF Revisiting "Our Own Kind" : An 'Angela's Ashes' Tale set in Rhode Island"
- February 25, 2013 - Karen A. Holland, Ph.D.,
Hero of the Siege of Londonderry, 1689?"
- January 17, 2013 - Kurt C. Schlichting, Ph.D,
Exploring the Historical Record of Irish Immigration: To American and Newport
- July 21, 2013 - Providence Journal - "Fifth Ward, Where Irish Roots run Deep in Newport"
- March 25, 2013 - Newport Daily News - "Lecture series to close with 'Our Own Kind'"
Vol. 37 - Winter Spring 2013
- 2013_06_24_Train Ride.pdf
- 2013_06_24_Train Ride.jpg
- October 15, 2012 - John F. Quinn, Ph.D.,
PDF The Rise and Fall of Charles Stewart Parnell, Ireland's 'Uncrowned King',
- September 17, 2012 - Donald D. Deignan, Ph.D.,
The Rhode Island Irish Famine Memorial: Its Past, Present and Future"
- March 22, 2012 - Roxanne O'Connell, Ph.D.,
"Your Granny's Gramophone: The Cultural Impact of early recording technology on Irish Music"
- January 18, 2012 - Marian Mathison Desrosiers, Ph.D.,
"Remembering the Famine: The McGlinchey of Inishowen and Cambridge, MA"
- March 15, 2012 - Boston Herald - "Irish adventures -
Exploring New England's rich Celtic heritage"
- March 6, 2012 - Newport Daily News - "Our View: Irish group has served city well' "
Vol. 36 - Fall 2012
Vol. 35 - Summer 2012
Vol. 34 - Spring 2012
- November 8, 2011 - Kurt C. Schlichting, Ph.D.
PDF "The Irish in Newport: A Detailed Examination of the 1880 Census"
- October 13, 2011 - John F. Quinn, Ph.D., PDF "The Irish in Gilded Age Newport"
- September 15, 2011 - William J. Matthews, Ph.D. ,PDF "A History of the IRA: Oglaigh na hEireann"
- January 6, 2011 - Kenneth R. Dooley, playwright & author,
PDF "The Murder Trial of John Gordon"
Vol. 33 - Fall 2011
- June 16, 2011 - Newport Daily News - "Our View: Irish History Finally Gets Its Own Place"
- June 13, 2011 - Newport Daily News - "Museum Pays Tribute to Irish Roots"
- June 9, 2011 - Newport Daily News - "Irish History Museum to Open Interpretive Center"
Vol. 32 - Spring 2011
Vol. 31 - Winter 2010/2011
- November 4, 2010 - Marian Mathison Desrosiers, Ph.D.,
PDF Island Girl": Justice Florence Kerins Murray (1916-2004)"
- October 7, 2010 - William J. Matthews, Ph.D.,
PDF Eamon De Valera: The Man Who Was 20th Century Ireland"
- ? July 15, 2010 - Barbara (Lepley) Crowell Roy, MBA, MS,
How to Obtain Your Irish Citizenship
- ? January 28, 2010 - Barbara A. Kathe, Ph.D.,
PDF Giving Forward: W.B. Yeats and Seamus Heaney"
- March 3, 2010 - Denny Lynch, Photographer, MS, BS,
PDF Maryland's Irish Connections
- March 23, 2010 - Joyce M. Botelho, MA,
PDF Nora Mulloy's Newport
(an "encore" presentation hosted by Cluny School, 75 Brenton Road, Newport)
Vol. 30 - Summer 2010
Vol. 29 - Spring 2010
- October 22, 2009 - Edward T. O'Donnell, Ph.D.,
Compassion & Corruption: The Political Machine and the Irish American Experience
- November 17, 2009 - Joyce M. Botelho, M.A. -
Nora Mulloy's Newport
- April 16, 2009 - Edward T. McCarron, Ph.D.,
PDF From the Nore Valley to North America: Migrations from the Parish of Inistioge, County Kilkenny
- March 3, 2009 - Denny Lynch, Photographer, MS, BS,
PDF The Battle of Baltimore, September 1814
- March 9, 2009 - John F. Quinn, Ph.D.,
PDF The Rise of Catholicism in Newport, 1880-1950
(an "encore"presentation hosted by Cluny School, 75 Brenton Road, Newport)
- February 19, 2009 - William J. Matthews, Ph.D.,
PDF The Irish Famine (An Gorta Mor) 1845-1849
- January 8, 2009 - John F. Quinn, Ph.D., PDF The Rise of Catholicism in Newport, 1880-1950
Vol. 28 - Winter 2009/2010
- December 14, 2009 - Newport Daily News - "Our View: Irish Museum Deserves New Home at Fort"
- December 5, 2009 - Newport Daily News - "Irish Eyes Turn to State Park for Museum"
Vol. 27 - Summer 2009
Vol. 26 - Spring 2009
Vol. 25 - Winter 2008
- November 6, 2008 - Charles Artaud Byrne, MS, Lt.-Col. U.S. AF (retired), PDF "Ranelagh: The Irish Warlord" (Tate Publishing Company, 2008)
- October 14, 2008 - Scott Molloy, Ph.D., "PDF Irish Titan, Irish Toilers: Joseph Banigan and Nineteenth-Century New England Labor"
(University Press of New England, July 2008)
- March 10, 2008 - Dr. Brian Trainor, Ulster Historical Foundation, "Emigration from Ulster to North America in the 18th Century"
- January 17, 2008 - Nancy Lusignan Schultz, Ph.D., "Mass Mailings: The Irish and American Miracles of Prince Alexander Hohenlohe, 1823-24", (published Mar. 2011 as "Mrs. Mattingly's Miracle: The Prince, the Widow, and the Cure that Shocked Washington City", Yale Univ. Press)
Vol. 24 - Summer 2008
Vol. 23 - Spring 2008
Vol. 22 - Fall 2007
- November 29, 2007 - Alen MacWeeney, Photographer, Author,
Irish Travellers, Tinkers No More" (New England College Press, 2007)
- November 8, 2007 - William J. Matthews, Ph.D.,
The Life and Times of Michael Collins"
- February 28, 2007 - Denny Lynch, photographer,
Returning to Kerry: Photographic sojourn in and around Kerry”
Vol. 21 - Summer 2007
Vol. 20 - Spring 2007
Vol. 19 - Fall/Winter 2006/2007
- November 30, 2006 - Nancy Lusignan Schultz, Ph.D., "PDF McGowan's Tavern, Paddy Funerals, and Rossiter's Dog: Irish Factors in the 1834 Attack on the Charlestown, Mass. Convent"
- November 2, 2006 - Professor William Matthews, PhD, from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. "Green Against Green: The Tragic Irish Civil War".
- April 20, 2006 - Maureen Lapan, Ph.D., founding member and officer of the International Berkeley Society, "Images of Berkeley in Newport: 1729-1732"
- February 9, 2006 - J. Stephen Grimes, Director of Archives and Records Management for the R.I. Supreme Court, "From Bricklayer to Bricklayer; The Rhode Island Roots of Congressman John E. Fogarty's Irish-American Nationalism"
Vol. 18 - Summer 2006
Vol. 17 - Spring 2006
Vol. 16 - Winter 2005
- December 1, 2005 - Paul O'Malley, Ph.D., "Ireland and the Spanish Civil War: A Foreign Policy Racy of Irish Soil" *
- The term "Racy" has been used in the past as a way of commending the organization or policy as exhibiting the excellence of the Irish race, according to Dr. O'Malley
- October 20, 2005 - William Matthews, Ph.D., The Irish Rising of 1916 and how it led to the 1919-21 insurrection against Britain.
Vol. 15 - Summer/V99 fall 2005
Vol. 14 - Spring 2005
Vol. 13 - Winter 2004/2005
- November 18, 2004 - Fr. Robert Hayman, Historian for the Diocese of Providence. Fr. Hayman’s talk focused on the "Irish immigrants in Rhode Island prior to 1860, with a special look at the Newport area".
- He referred to the memoirs of Bishop Fenwick of Boston who noted that in 1827 there were about 150 Irish men working at Ft. Adams, and some 35 working in the Portsmouth coal mines.
- He also referenced the baptismal records of children born to parents working at Ft. Adams in the late 1820s and the obituary of James Cottrell who came to Newport from Ireland to work on the Fort in 1828.
- October 13, 2004 - Dr. Lawrence Arnold of Dublin, the author of numerous articles dealing with seventeenth century Irish History, and author of The Restoration Land Settlement in County Dublin 1660-1668, spoke about the events in Irish history leading up to the Cromwellian war and the settlement following that war.
- March 26, 2004 - Denny Lynch, photographer
- February 5, 2004 - Evelyn Sterne, Ph.D. - "Irish in Politics and the Catholic Church"
Vol. 12 - Summer 2004
Vol. 11 - Winter 2003/2004
- December 2, 2003 - Charles Duff, Ph.D. - "Edwin O'Connor's Boston"
- October 23, 2003 - Seamus Connolly, Boston College - "An Evening of Irish Traditional music, different languages and stories"
Vol. 10 - Summer 2003
Vol. 09 - Fall 2002
- October 24, 2002 - Inaugural talk by Dr. John Quinn, PhD, an associate professor of history at Salve Regina University on his newly published book "Father Mathew's Crusade - Temperance in Nineteenth Century Ireland and Irish America"
Vol. 08 - Spring 2002
Vol. 07 - Fall 2001
Vol. 06 - Spring 2001
Vol. 05 - Winter 2001
Vol. 04 - Spring 2000
Vol. 04 - Winter 2000
Vol. 03 - Summer 1999
Vol. 02 - June 1998
- August 13, 1998 - Newport Daily News - "Irish History Museum Unearths Celtic Cross at Historic Cemetery"
Vol. 02 - March 1998
Vol. 01 - Spring 1997
- November 22, 1997 - Newport Daily News - "Museum of Irish History Raises Funds for Cemetery Restoration"
Vol. 01 - October 1997
- Marian Desrosiers, Ph.D., Talk entitled: "A 5th Ward Girl: Florence Murray"
- Denny Lynch, Lecturer, Photographer and Historian -
Slide presentation entitled: "Returning to Kerry: Photographic Sojourns in and Around Kerry"
- Nancy Lusignan Schultz. Ph.D. Salem State College -
"McGowan's Tavern, Paddy Funerals and Rossiter's Dog: Irish Factors the 1834 Attack on the Charlestown Massachusetts Convent"
- William J. Matthews, Ph.D., University of Massachusetts - "Green Against Green:
The Tragic Irish Civil War"
- Dr. Maureen T. Lapan, Founding member of the International Berkeley Society -
"Images of Berkeley in Newport: 1729 - 1732"
- Charles Duffy, PhD, Providence College - "Edwin O'Connor's Boston"
- James Garman, PhD, Salve Regina University - "Some New Interpretations on the Establishment of Newport's Irish Community, 1840-1870"
and Playwright Ken Dooly spoke on the
infamous Gordon trial of a young Irish immigrant
J. Matthews, Ph.D. - Talk entitled
"The Irish Famine (An Gorta Mór) 1845-1849"
ARTAUD BYRNE - Spoke about his book:
Ranelagh: The Irish Warlord
Brian Trainor: Emigration from Ulster to
North America in the 18th Century
Macweeney - Photographer/Author
Presented his documentary "Irish Travellers", and discussed his new
book of the same name.
For further information about the content of this page, please contact the MNIH webmaster,
Peter Martin at MNIH@StacyHouse.com or 401-924-2402.