Above Photo: Historic cemetery at the corner of Barney and Mount Vernon Streets in Newport, R.I.
Restored and maintained by the Museum of Newport Irish History.
Not able to join us in person for a cemetery tour?
Learn about this site, central to the history of the Irish in Newport, by checking out these resources:
-Short “virtual tour” of the site produced in spring 2020: click HERE
– Videotape of lecture “Newport’s Early Irish Community and Rhode Island’s First Catholic Church,” presented via Zoom in September, 2020 by Steve Marino: click HERE
– Materials shared in conjunction with the September 2020 lecture, including early 1960s press accounts of the cemetery. click HERE
– Video produced by the Museum in 2010, “The Early Irish in Newport”: click HERE
– Want to see what the cemetery site looked like just before its restoration by the Museum of Newport Irish History? Click HERE for the video.
– Here is an article by the Museum on the history of the site as published in “Newport Neighbors” magazine, March 2022 issue. Click HERE.
Tour guide, Steve Marino (in green shirt) with cemetery visitors at the Sun. Mar. 20 tour. We were fortunate to have ideal weather and those assembled numbered upwards of 40.
Photo by Larry Bartley
Our tour-takers, numbering around 15, braved rainy conditions for the Sun. Mar. 6 tour by guide, Steve Marino. Their enthusiasm was in no way dampened by the “Irish weather.”
Photo by Jack McCormack
Our final March tour took place on Sunday, March 27. It was brisk, but dry and upwards of 40 tour-takers were on hand.
Photo by Carl Gallagher
HISTORIC IRISH CEMETERY TOURS
NEW in 2022!
NOTE: Our Newport Irish Heritage Month tours last March were very well-received, so we are offering the tours again this fall.
Site tours of the historic Barney Street Cemetery will be offered on two Sundays during September and October. The tours of approximately 30 minutes in length, plus time for Q&A, will be given by local historian and guide, Steve Marino, weather permitting. As this is an outdoor event, please dress accordingly. A bit of rain won’t stop the tour, but torrential downfalls and high winds will result in a cancellation.
No tour fee charged, but tax-deductible donations to the Museum of Newport Irish History to help fund the continued maintenance and beautification of the cemetery property are most welcome.
Cemetery Tour Schedule September-October 2022:
Sunday, September 11 – 1:00 pm
Sunday, September 25 – 1:00 pm
Sunday, October 9 – 1:00 pm
Sunday, October 30 – 1:00 pm
Location: Corner Barney & Mt. Vernon Streets in Newport, RI. Click HERE for map.
- Do you have an ancestor that may have been at one of the churches on Barney and Mount Vernon Streets?
- Do you remember the old cemetery before 1962?
- We would like to hear from YOU! Write to NewportIrishHistory@gmail.com